[Wikitech-l] [Wikidata-tech] Normalization of change tag schema
Amir Sarabadani
2018-07-25 17:17:31 UTC
Hello,
One update regarding this.
We enabled using the new table for Special:Tags in several large wikis
which caused a massive improvement in the performance of the page. For
example loading Special:Tags on Wikidata used to take around a minute and
now it takes less than a second. English Wikipedia is down from ten seconds
to less than one and so on.

There is a lot of work needs to be done and maintenance scripts is being
ran to backpopulate the ct_tag_id column in change_tag table (If you want
to follow the progress, see https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T193873) and
then we need start reading from the new table in mediawiki and finally we
can drop ct_tag column entirely. If you want to help in review, writing
code or anything, just let me know.

Best
Hello all,
Our team is refactoring some code around the change tags on Recent
Changes. This can impact people using the database on ToolForge.
Currently, the tags are stored in the table change_tag in the column
ct_tag.
In the next days, we will add a column ct_tag_id with a unique identifier
for these tags. A new table change_tag_def that will store the tag id,
the message, and more information like how many times this tag is used on
the local wiki.
On the long term, we plan to drop the column ct_tag since the tag will be
identified with ct_tag_id.
- French Wikipedia: Monday July 2nd
- All other wikis: from July 9th
If there is any problem (trouble with saving edits, slow down of recent
changes…) please create a subtask of T185355
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T185355> or contact Ladsgroup
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Ladsgroup>.
Cheers,
--
Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
Amir Sarabadani
2018-07-30 11:13:11 UTC
Hey,
Using the new table as backend of Special:Tags (and similar APIs) is now
enabled everywhere. Contact me if there's any issues with that.

Best

Amir Sarabadani
2018-07-30 16:21:36 UTC
And this is the load on vslow database nodes on s7:
https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/mysql?panelId=3&fullscreen&orgId=1&from=1532794373712&to=1532967173714&var-dc=eqiad%20prometheus%2Fops&var-server=db1090&var-port=13317

You can see similar drops on other sections from exactly the moment it got
deployed:
s1:
https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/mysql?panelId=3&fullscreen&orgId=1&from=1531757700702&to=1532967300702&var-dc=eqiad%20prometheus%2Fops&var-server=db1106&var-port=9104
s2:
https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/mysql?panelId=3&fullscreen&orgId=1&from=1532794561870&to=1532967361872&var-dc=eqiad%20prometheus%2Fops&var-server=db1090&var-port=13312

Best
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Hey,
Using the new table as backend of Special:Tags (and similar APIs) is now
enabled everywhere. Contact me if there's any issues with that.
Best

Jaime Crespo
2018-07-30 16:46:49 UTC
Awesome news, Amir,

You made some function calls one million times faster, making contributors
happier and making available resources that can now be used for other
mission-related tasks. That also made, at least, WMF DBAs very happy!

Cheers,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 6:22 PM Amir Sarabadani <
Post by Amir Sarabadani
https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/mysql?panelId=3&fullscreen&orgId=1&from=1532794373712&to=1532967173714&var-dc=eqiad%20prometheus%2Fops&var-server=db1090&var-port=13317
You can see similar drops on other sections from exactly the moment it got
https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/mysql?panelId=3&fullscreen&orgId=1&from=1531757700702&to=1532967300702&var-dc=eqiad%20prometheus%2Fops&var-server=db1106&var-port=9104
s2
<https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/mysql?panelId=3&fullscreen&orgId=1&from=1531757700702&to=1532967300702&var-dc=eqiad%20prometheus%2Fops&var-server=db1106&var-port=9104s2>
https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/mysql?panelId=3&fullscreen&orgId=1&from=1532794561870&to=1532967361872&var-dc=eqiad%20prometheus%2Fops&var-server=db1090&var-port=13312
Best
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
is used on the local wiki.
On the long term, we plan to drop the column ct_tag since the tag will
be identified with ct_tag_id.
- French Wikipedia: Monday July 2nd
- All other wikis: from July 9th
If there is any problem (trouble with saving edits, slow down of recent
changes…) please create a subtask of T185355
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T185355> or contact Ladsgroup
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Ladsgroup>.
Cheers,
--
Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de
Finanzamt
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.
Amir Sarabadani
Software Engineer
Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
unter
<http://wikimedia.org>
Derk-Jan Hartman

Jon Robson
2018-07-31 07:18:37 UTC
👏👏👏👏👏
Post by Amir Sarabadani
You can see similar drops on other sections from exactly the moment it
got
https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/mysql?panelId=3&fullscreen&orgId=1&from=1531757700702&to=1532967300702&var-dc=eqiad%20prometheus%2Fops&var-server=db1106&var-port=9104
Post by Amir Sarabadani
s2
<
Post by Amir Sarabadani
)
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
code or anything, just let me know.
Best
Hello all,
Our team is refactoring some code around the change tags on Recent
Changes. This can impact people using the database on ToolForge.
Currently, the tags are stored in the table change_tag in the column
ct_tag.
In the next days, we will add a column ct_tag_id with a unique
identifier for these tags. A new table change_tag_def that will store
the tag id, the message, and more information like how many times
this
Post by Amir Sarabadani
tag
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig ane
<https://maps.google.com/?q=s+gemeinn%C3%BCtzig+ane&entry=gmail&source=g>rkannt
durch das
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Finanzamt
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.
Amir Sarabadani
Software Engineer
Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de
Wissens frei teilhabe
<https://maps.google.com/?q=ssens+frei+teilhabe&entry=gmail&source=g>n
kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V.
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
unter
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Amir Sarabadani
Software Engineer
Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de
Stellen Sie sich eine W
<https://maps.google.com/?q=len+Sie+sich+eine+W&entry=gmail&source=g>elt
vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
Amir Sarabadani
2018-10-11 11:47:03 UTC
Hello,
One other update regarding this: We just set reading to use the new change
tag backend (and stop writing to ct_tag column) in mediawiki.org, test
wikis and several other small wikis. This means if you are depending on
ct_tag column, your tool/service will be broken soon.

Also, since this changes queries of recentChanges, watchlist, User
contributions, history action, a handful of API modules and some other
special pages, let us know if anything in that regard doesn't look right to
you. Dear developers, keep this in mind if something pops up in logs or
tendril.

We are planning to move forward on bigger wikis next week.

Best
Post by Jon Robson
👏👏👏👏👏
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
You can see similar drops on other sections from exactly the moment it
got
https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/mysql?panelId=3&fullscreen&orgId=1&from=1531757700702&to=1532967300702&var-dc=eqiad%20prometheus%2Fops&var-server=db1106&var-port=9104
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
s2
<
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
example loading Special:Tags on Wikidata used to take around a
minute
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
and
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
)
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
the tag id, the message, and more information like how many times
this
Post by Amir Sarabadani
tag
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
changes…) please create a subtask of T185355
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T185355> or contact Ladsgroup
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Ladsgroup>.
Cheers,
--
Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de
Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens
e.
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
V.
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig ane
<https://maps.google.com/?q=s+gemeinn%C3%BCtzig+ane&entry=gmail&source=g
rkannt
durch das
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Finanzamt
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.
Amir Sarabadani
Software Engineer
Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de
Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge
allen
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
unter
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
für
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V.
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
unter

Amir Sarabadani
2018-11-29 14:04:08 UTC
Hey,
The last update on this thread.

The day has finally come, there is no part of mediawiki that points out to
ct_tag column. This column will be dropped in the next couple of weeks. It
had only empty value for a several weeks already.

Best
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Hello,
One other update regarding this: We just set reading to use the new change
tag backend (and stop writing to ct_tag column) in mediawiki.org, test
wikis and several other small wikis. This means if you are depending on
ct_tag column, your tool/service will be broken soon.
Also, since this changes queries of recentChanges, watchlist, User
contributions, history action, a handful of API modules and some other
special pages, let us know if anything in that regard doesn't look right to
you. Dear developers, keep this in mind if something pops up in logs or
tendril.
We are planning to move forward on bigger wikis next week.
Best
👏👏👏👏👏
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
You can see similar drops on other sections from exactly the moment it
got
https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/mysql?panelId=3&fullscreen&orgId=1&from=1531757700702&to=1532967300702&var-dc=eqiad%20prometheus%2Fops&var-server=db1106&var-port=9104
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
s2
<
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
example loading Special:Tags on Wikidata used to take around a
minute
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
and
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
ran to backpopulate the ct_tag_id column in change_tag table (If
you
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
want
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
)
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
code or anything, just let me know.
Best
On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 at 15:15, Léa Lacroix <
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
the tag id, the message, and more information like how many times
this
Post by Amir Sarabadani
tag
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
changes…) please create a subtask of T185355
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T185355> or contact Ladsgroup
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Ladsgroup>.
Cheers,
--
Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de
Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens
e.
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
V.
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig ane
<
https://maps.google.com/?q=s+gemeinn%C3%BCtzig+ane&entry=gmail&source=g
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
rkannt
durch das
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Finanzamt
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens
e.
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
V.
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
unter
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
unter
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Post by Amir Sarabadani
Amir Sarabadani
Software Engineer
Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V.
Post by Derk-Jan Hartman
Post by Amir Sarabadani
unter